Because We Care
Are you a high school junior or senior looking to make an impact on your community?
Join the Jewish Values in Action Teen Leadership Program!
This is a new component of the Because We Care Program. Participants who are selected to join the fellowship will:
- Plan and execute 5 service-oriented programs that benefit their community throughout the 2019-2020 school year
Teach and impart Jewish values to their younger peers
- Develop leadership and communication skills
- Model the importance and value of volunteering and the impact it has on our community
- Learn more about the people in the community that Jewish Family Service serves and help meet their needs in a tangible and meaningful way
- $150 stipend
- Volunteer/community service hours for high school requirements
- Certificate of completion
Applications are due to Erin Lederman email@example.com by Monday, August 26, 2019
Because We Care connects Jewish youth with opportunities to engage in service and work for meaningful change through flexible educational b’nai mitzvah service opportunities, including:
Participate in monthly hands-on service opportunities planned and coordinated by Jewish Family Service staff. Each program is uniquely fun and provides insight into how JFS helps your community. Come and serve every month, or pick and choose the projects that are of interest to you. Below is the 2018-2019 schedule.
- Sunday, October 20, 2019: 12-2p.m. Sukkot Family Festival (Held at The Shul).
- Sunday, November 10, 2019: Fall Fix Up TBD
- Sunday, December 8, 2019: 1-2:30p.m. Hanukkah Helpers. Held at Jewish Family Service.
- Sunday, February 9, 2020 1-2:30p.m. Chicken Soup for the Soul. Held at Adat Shalom Synagogue.
- Sunday, March 8, 2020: 1-2:30p.m. Soothing Sunday. Held at Jewish Family Service.
For more details on upcoming Monthly Mitzvot, click here.
Because We Care Packages
Shop for and assemble themed care packages for individuals served by JFS. Possible themes include personal care, household care, fun for kids, seasonal care, or create your own!
The dedicated staff at JFS is available to work with you, your children, or your group to find the right service opportunity, based on your interests and schedule. Parents and participants will receive a program orientation, detailed instructions and suggestions for executing projects, and ongoing support to provide guidance and information.
We are happy to work with you on one of your own volunteer ideas and we’re available to work with classrooms and other groups.
For more information, contact at 248.592.2317 or BWC@jfsdetroit.org.
Or fill out the form below to be contacted by someone from our volunteer department.