For the last 90 years, the Jewish Family Service commitment to the Metropolitan Detroit Jewish community is to provide assistance to those in need.
At Jewish Family Service, we believe in a philosophy of individualized assistance that supports the whole person, not only the immediate concern, with collaboration in and outside of the Jewish community. JFS partners with individuals and families, using people’s strengths to solve problems.
Thank you for entrusting Jewish Family Service with your individual and family needs. We encourage you to learn about the variety of services that can help you.
If you’re not sure what you may need or how to get started, we can help. If you’d like us to contact you to help steer you in the right direction, let us know. If you’re just looking for a starting point to the many resources available both through JFS and our community, contact our Resource Center at 248.592.2313 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
JFS provides personalized social and mental health services to individuals and families in the Metropolitan Detroit area. Each year, JFS serves 12,000 people of all ages, religions and socioeconomic backgrounds through a variety of programs.
This past year, the local demand for help was unprecedented, with a substantial increase in the number of services requested. Here’s a glimpse of what Jewish Family Service of Metropolitan Detroit provided:
- Family Crisis Support: Approximately 800 families were provided professional support to help them become financially self-sufficient. Over the past 2 years, the number of new clients served per month has almost doubled.
- Geriatric Case Management: Over 900 Jewish older adults received JFS’ help, offering its continuum of older adult services.
- Mental Health Counseling: Close to 900 clients were provided with individual, family and group counseling services.
- Health Care Assistance (Project Chessed): Over 1,400 people received access to health care, with an average of 10 new clients each week being enrolled in the program.
- Transportation Services: JFS provided over 25,000 rides to over 800 individuals for medical appointments, US Citizenship & Immigration Services interviews, grocery shopping and community programs. Since 78% of passengers are over 70 years in age, JFS Transportation services are critical to their ability to age in place.
- Food Assistance: Over 40,000 meals were delivered through Meals on Wheels, providing fresh, kosher meals to 146 people.
- Housing Assistance: 700 families received assistance, compared to 201 families in the previous year.
- Mentoring: 75 total community-based mentoring matches took place. More than 45% of current matches have been together for over 2 years and over 42% have been together for over 3 years.
- Resources: JFS provides information and referral services through its central offices. In the past year, the total number of inquiries addressed through phone, email or walk-in totaled 5,400.